Who Do You Think You Are?

I want to clarify my comment from yesterday about me not looking like my fellow Hoodlings.  It’s not that I think I’m any better than them, we’re just…different.  Different in very good ways.  And if you read here much you’re well aware that this area here?  This area where I get to have my own personal playground filled with words and naughty pictures of trees?  It’s FULL of self-depreciating descriptions of my perfectly flawed self and wildly exciting half-interesting life.

To be more accurate, I’d say the difference between me and my fellow Hoodlings is- 

1) Tracks are for running, not for putting them up and down your arms.

2)  Pets are for companionship and to work around the house, not used as a weapon.

3)  The Police are for protection, not for target practice.

4)  Street corners are for crossing roads - not for making a living.  And John is a friend, not my boss.

But I have to give them credit for unknowingly supplying me with colorful stories - like the one  where I was running down the beach from a vicious dog crying like a baby thinking very bad thoughts about this town and the owner of that dog.

They know not what they do.

I’ve even tried to help my senior Hoodlings by going down to the local senior citizens home to see about volunteering.  I met with a social worker there to discuss how I could help, and talked about how I used to be in social work and how that would be an asset.  You have to be drug tested, criminal background checked and finger printed to be in social work and I wanted her to know that I was an upstanding citizen.   

I told her I wanted to visit a couple of seniors a week to listen to their stories and that I preferred someone who had no one that came to visit them because they probably needed the company the most.  We talked for a long time, sharing stories about helping people and how I’d wanted to volunteer for a long time. 

We left by shaking hands and she said she’d call me after talking with a few people she had in mind.  I left the building feeling so good about the opportunity to make a difference in someone’s life.   The meeting went great and I was looking forward to that call.

A week went by and there was no phone call.  Hey, those seniors keep them busy, right?

I wrote a card expressing my thanks and how I looked forward to hearing from her and mailed it promptly.  I made sure all my contact information was on there.

Still, no call.

I called her and left a message stating again, what was in the card, and again, thanked her for her time. 

Three weeks later, and no call.

So.  Who do I think I am?   

I think I’m the only person I know that got turned down for volunteering.  I failed at volunteering in The Hood.

Comments

lori said…
I got fired from volunteering.

Popular Posts