Walk On By

Near the end of my walk yesterday I stopped to smell the roses, and as I was standing back up I saw this sign -

Out of a hundred different varieties of roses they have at this place and I smelled this one - the Julia Child rose.  I didn’t even know they had a rose named after her.  It’s a sign!   This is my big break!  Something good’s gonna happen soonerthanlaterPLEASE.

It was a neat morning too because as my camera and I moved off of the path into the weeds and mud and climbed up and down hills 

to get the perfect angles and shots as though I’m some professional working in Africa with National Geographic getting paid big bucks to do this, (inhale) I realized, this would be a very cool career.  Just add writing to the mix and we’re good to go.

My mind drifted for a few minutes playing out scenes of traveling to exotic and formidable locations with a small group of creative professionals.  Where every day is different, blending artistry with poetry and stories of big adventures makes my eyes open wide and the corners of my mouth curl up. 
 

Just add dancing naked men, bottles of wine and throw in comediannes Whoopi Goldberg and Wanda Sykes for good measure.  And if you really want to make me happy make the leader of the dancing naked men comedian Dane Cook.  Thanks.



Another thing I spotted on my great travels jog/walk was this lovely batch of daisies, still eye-popping in early November, and it had BEES on it!  Bees in November in the Northeast? 

I've long been fascinated by bees.  Bees and ants actually, because for such small insects, with small brains, they're incredibly organized and they work like there's no tomorrow. Maybe I'll stop killing ants in my apartment.  I might be able to leverage this and kick the cat out who does NOTHING all day but lay around and wait for me to feed her, buy her new toys and pay for all of her medical care.  

Did you know that ants build nurseries where they care for their young?  And one color ant will attack another color ant and steal their babies to make them their slaves when they're old enough to work?  It's some crazy shit in the ant world and we probably don't know half of what they do, and I'm showing bees but I don't remember any bee stories right now.

Well, obviously the ants are smarter because I couldn't find any of them to take a picture of.



You’re probably thinking, “Wow, what an awesome photographer that Micki Michelle is!”,  but here’s the weird part - the bees aren’t moving.  So, yeah, no effort to capture the moment, Oh Great Photographer.  They’re alive, but in some sort of hibernation while still attached to the flowers.  Some of them were attached to the back of the flower. I don’t know the life span of a bee but if it's just for one season and they know it, maybe they want to "pass on" doing something they love.  And that would make them just as smart as the ants.

As I was heading to my car to leave this beautiful place, I passed a crew who were getting out expensive-looking cameras and lap tops.  I stopped in my tracks, turned around and asked if they were shooting something I could check out in our local paper or magazine.  There was an awkward silence, then the girl in charge said they were doing a photo shoot for Martha Stewart Living.  

"Cool."  I muttered, as they looked like they didn't want to be disturbed and I didn't want to be one of those annoying fans.

And as I drove home, I thought about how witty The Universe is and how ridiculous I am because I walked right by the dream I'd had just moments before.


Comments

Popular Posts