The First Day

I woke early.  Too early for a girl with no children to prepare for school and I had nothing more than a quick saunter down the hall to work.  But I was playing hooky for the day so I read for a while and figured I’d fall back to sleep at some point.

The sun started coming up and a bright glow filled my bedroom as I read on the lap top in bed.  I peered through the mini-blinds and found a massive blast of light confronting me. 

“Don’t miss a minute of it.”  I heard in my head.

I whipped around assuming a Kung Fu position like I’ve seen in the movies, expecting to take down an intruder in The Hood, in my pajamas, but no one was there - only an urgency that I can’t explain.  I wondered if an angel was whispering in my ear, prompting me before it was too late and wondered what might happen if I didn‘t obey the command.

Clothes were layered on, hiking boots slid onto my feet and the camera was slung over my shoulder.  I was on a mission and I had no idea what I was doing or where I was going at 7am on a Friday morning.

My car drove to get hot chocolate and then to the beach where the chilly air was smoothed by the huge golden sun.  The bright light was casting shadows across the sand and created dark contrasts in the crevices of the rocks while the handful of fishermen stared at the taunt lines they’d cast into the sea.

I was filled with something very powerful, yet intensely peaceful and I'd done nothing to summon this feeling.  It was just there.




I’d woken on the first day of my 42nd year that way, and I can only describe it as pure joy, contentment and gratitude for no reason at all.  It didn't take a thing, an event or some goal to be accomplished.  It just - was.  And it stood alone without reference to anything else going on in my life.  If I’d allowed myself to focus on it, it would’ve reduced me to tears because it would've overwhelmed me.  I simply let it be what it was without trying to look at it too closely or analyze it.

I can hear Wayne Dyer calling - asking to collaborate on a book.  How about an interview?  A World tour maybe?

Later that evening I went to dinner with friends and had filet mignon, and lobster, and red wine.  I searched for the words to describe my day but every illustration fell short of the experience.  It’s still hard to describe.  The day of my birthday looked plain, boring even, from the outside, but inside it was rich with more than I could’ve asked for.

Comments

Popular Posts