Covert Operation

I went to Target very early in the morning the other day.

While standing in line to make a return, I noticed a repairman on the ground, working on one of the entrance doors.  Standing over him was a laser-focused employee giving what appeared to be a play-by-play account of the repairman’s actions into her headset.

Forty feet away, behind the registers and in the middle of the aisle was an equally focused employee planted firmly in place to direct traffic I guess, who also giving detailed accounts of repairman’s actions into her headset.

Then - another employee passed in front of me speaking way too loudly to the girl she was training, which I found - peculiar.

Something was going on.  It was too scripted, like they were trying too hard to be convincing that everything was just fine when clearly, with my extra sensory perception that I now use to pick up flea chatter and laughter, things were not.

They were acting on mysterious orders they received through a tiny earpiece from an unknown source and I wondered who this source was and if it was of our own kind.  Maybe it was the Wizard from Oz and HE REALLY DOES EXIST.  He’s operating out of the bedding department with a sheet drawn across both ends of the aisle giving frenzied orders to which they dutifully obeyed.

I pictured them springing into action - replacing their red shirts with fatigues, running up and down the aisles of clothing and shoes shouting orders for price checks and aggressively, but cautiously, inspecting every dressing room for items not returned to the proper counter.

I wondered if maybe they had a shoplifter in the store and this was their covert operation to take ‘em down once they pass through the exit doors.  


"Ma'am?"

"MA'AM.   We can help you now."  said the curious-looking girl behind the counter.  

Suspiciously, I approached the counter and stared at the girl who smiled as she processed my return.

I guess they just take their shit very seriously at Target.




Comments

susan said…
Intersting ....
What did you buy?

Popular Posts