Hood Living for a Super Hero

I live in The Hood. It stabs at the rules of growth, status and class, and frankly, it’s entertaining. It’s rich with resources acting as a living playground for the scientist, researcher, sociologist or daytime talk-show recruiter. Unfortunately, I am none of these.

I live here by choice. It’s not the popular thing to do and that’s why I’m here. I’m incognito, hiding, until it’s time to expose my brilliant self to the world. I’m a loaf of bread that sits still before slowly rising, even if in my own mind. The old-timers will tell you, there’s no recipe, just experience and a knowing of when I’ll be ready for what comes next.

I’ve discovered Hood Living has its’ advantages-

Less traffic = more people ‘exercising’ by riding bikes and walking
People with plenty of time to smell the roses
Low expectations leading to higher self-esteem, and
Research

I get places faster because I have a car and leverage time, our most precious asset. People with plenty of time offer affordable domestic help, thus I am leveraging someone else’s time. Low expectations makes it’s easy to be a success here. My ego thanks you, Hood. And research. Who knew? Bored in the middle of the afternoon? Sit and observe, just do it at a distance, unless you’re a Super hero like me.

I admit, it’s not easy pretending to be average but I’ve learned how to survive in The Hood by keeping to myself and packing on those extra pounds. It’s survival after all and I’ll do what I have to do.

Comments

Popular Posts