Perspective

Well, I didn’t make it back earlier in the week as I had hoped, but I’m back.

My computer had to go to the doctor for serious repair and I kept hesitating because like a lot of us, I rely on my computer so much these days.   Who needs magazine subscriptions when you can read them on-line and with the touch of a few keys I can monitor and do my banking and keep in touch with people.

So finally, I dropped the computer off and returned home.  I’m not a parent but I imagine it felt like leaving your kid at someone’s house that you don’t know all that well.  It also felt like I went back in time.  No watching netflix movies instantly, no constant contact through emails, no catching up on the latest news and gossip. 

OMG!  WHAT DO I DO?

I never thought I’d hear myself say this but it was weird being without it.  I wasn’t on the internet for nearly a week.

I cooked, I cleaned, I organized and I tried to throw out, donate or give away nearly half of everything I own.  Not really half, but just the clutter because I’m a girl that could live comfortably in a cushy hotel room with little more than what I actually need.  Throw in a couple of items to personalize it and I’m good to go.

And you know what I came to realize?  You get so much done without the distraction of a computer beckoning for your time.  And then when they called to say I could pick it up I actually delayed going and waited until they were almost closed.  I’d found a certain peace in being more present in my life without all the internet noise, but I also found myself in the dark in regards to banking and email and hoping I wasn’t missing anything.

When I finally picked up my computer it was like seeing someone who’s undergone shock therapy.  A mere fragment of who they used to be.  The life of it had been stripped to the bone. The stories, the pictures, the emails, all gone only to be replaced by a big void and most of it unrecognizable.  Little by little, I’m finding bits and pieces of the past and setting up the email accounts and such.

Then, the whirlwind really started.  I had the computer back but could not connect to the internet.  I talked with my cable provider, HP, the wireless network and everyone had me run tests with no resolution. Some days I’d start off making phone calls to tech support at 5am and then after work I’d be on the phone until 10pm to resolve the issue.

I started speaking a different language using terms like “Pinging Google” and “IP Config” and then the technicians would speak back to me in the same language and I’m like, “Dude, I have NO idea what you’re talking about.  I’m just reading off of my notes.”  And finally the problem was solved, which was not my doing by the way. 

And in the meantime, after all that cleaning my vacuum broke for good, one of my phones died, I lost cable for a period of time and a work-related issue cost me a $150.  It was an expensive week costing me about $600.and I’m sure the Haitians would feel really sorry for me.  “Too bad about your vacuum cleaner.  We sure don’t need those LIVING IN TENTS!” 

Yeah.  Perspective.

Comments

Popular Posts