Christmas Cut Short?

I overheard a conversation where someone said the day after Christmas they can’t wait to take down their Christmas tree.  They said, “Christmas is OVER after Christmas day.  And I can’t wait to get the tree out of the way.”

I found this sad.  Like it’s just another chore - nothing special.  Kinda reminds me of the saying that “it’s not about the destination, but the journey“.   It’s a process that hopefully you’ll find some enjoyment in.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with taking your tree down the day after Christmas.  For a lot of people that’s their tradition.  In this case though, something about the spirit of Christmas was missing.


Christmas is a season and not just a day.


It’s the rushing around, baking cookies, cooking meals and getting together with the people in your lives.

I look at it this way - November is Thanksgiving and all that that entails, and that blends into Christmas.  Then you have the long drawn out January, February and March where not much is happening except Valentine’s Day.  So why not push Christmas into January as far as you can to fill that chilly void?

That’s what I plan to do.  I’m keeping my little “tree” full of glowing white lights and using it to warm my spirit when there are no more parties and festivities to attend to or work.  And with any luck it‘ll smooth out the post-holiday blues.  Of course, a vacation on a Caribbean island would work really well too.  



Comments

Popular Posts