What I Did Last Summer


If you’ve read my profile you’ll know that, although I have a cape and proudly strut my super hero tendencies, I also stumble around underneath this awesomely cool exterior. And I’ve been doing a lot of it this summer. Stumbling that is, not strutting.

In honor of back-to-school time I thought I’d write my own What I Did Last Summer report because I live a really exciting life. I basically spent the entire summer hiking in the woods. It was me and the trees, alone, but together for quiet meditation and reflection. Sometimes friends would join me and we'd talk while navigating the trails. 

There was the one time I set out to do a quick walk/jog in the woods and
ended up ge
tting lost in over 360 acres. Three hours later I emerged
from the forest only to find out I was 2 miles away from my car. Joy! That shook me up a bit. Me and my invincible powers managed to
hike to the top of a mountain in Oregon with no map, no phone and no problems, but I couldn’t navigate the local trails here with a map. It wasn't me, it was the trail markings. Seriously.

I’d stepped on the scale that morning before I left and when I returned I weighed myself again out of curiosity. I’d lost 2 lbs in 3 hours. I think I’m on to something. Getting lost may be a new diet secret. I can market that and call it Slim Adventures or something. I learned that you literally can “walk your ass off”, or at least 3 ½” inches of it.

I'd written a letter to Santa last year asking him to take back the 25 extra lbs. he gave me as a Christmas present and sure enough he delivered! Not the whole 25 lbs, but close. Although, it’s a little late Santa. He probably thinks that’s funny.

In the Spring I did a vegetable container garden full of different varieties of lettuces, squash, cucumbers, peppers, green beans and tomatoes. With all the rain we had in the northeast the containers turned out to be perfect for drainage. There’s nothing like growing your own food.



The lettuce in particular was outstanding. I grew Buttercrunch, Red Leaf and Romaine lettuce and produced enough to give some away. Next year I’m doing more of the lettuces. Momma’s garden was a huge success as well with potatoes, peas, beans, lettuces, radishes, carrots, tomatoes, berries and fruit trees. She canned and froze and squirreled away food for the winter. They get the cool award because they also have a compost bin. Who is this girl and what have you done with Micki Michelle?

Comments

lori said…
Good Stuff! Beautiful photos! Welcome back. I missed you.

Popular Posts