Non-Cook Cooking

Everybody that knows me knows that I’m a Non-Cook.   Non-cooks possess some ability to cook but lack the desire.

I am also an Appreciator.  An Appreciator is typically a Non-Cook who likes other peoples food better than their own and would rather be doing other things with their time than standing around in a kitchen making food.  On the other hand, Cooks love nothing more than to be making amazing meals for anyone and everyone and the kitchen is their favorite place to be.  Cooks and Appreciators go well together.

Well!  All of that is about to change.  Maybe, sort of.

It’s not going to be anything drastic and it’s not going to be every day, but I’ve decided it’s a skill I can learn for self-improvement.  I was influenced by the movie Julie, Julia and I need a new hobby for the colder months so I‘m strapping on my apron and… whatever else they do in the kitchen.  What I never really considered was the artistry in cooking and the passion some people have for it.  I can respect that and I can especially respect them sharing the results of their work!

I’m going to number these cooking experiments and see how many I do between now and March.  That’s six months and I’m not committed to anything more than that, if I even go that long.  My goal is at least one new thing per week.  Lofty, I know.  I told you I was a Non-Cook.   

So when I show you a grilled cheese or a bowl of cereal with garnish, I ask you to laugh softly and quietly to yourself.  I am a beginner.  I know not what I do.  I am a Non-Cook that is merely posing as a Wanna-be Cook for a short period of time and I need your support.

For my first entrée I made (ground) Beef Stroganoff in a crock pot.  Ok, so I didn’t cook it myself but I did have to brown the beef and cook the brown rice.  My secret for all the Non-Cooks out there is to cook on lower heat so you can read the directions 545 times without burning anything.  The recipe is here if anyone wants to cook along with me.

I also made a salad.  

Smile.  

Smile.

Curtsey.

The End.



But, here’s the deal - I made the dressing.  It’s very light, tasty and would go with just about anything.  


Here’s what I used -

Olive Oil
Balsamic vinegar
Red wine vinegar
Dijon mustard
Salt/pepper    




Tada!  Wish me luck and say a prayer.  I’ll keep the fire extinguisher close.

Comments

Judy said…
I am so proud of you. I wish I had your wit and your ability for awesome presentation.
Eileen said…
That looks yummy. Remind me to tell you about my first Stroganoff attempt back in 1970. New bride, new cooking tools, anxious to please. Should have known better when the recipe was named "Skid Road Stroganoff."
Micki Michelle said…
Thanks Judy and Eileen. I try.

Skid Road Stroganoff? You can't imagine the images I have in my head. It ain't pretty.
Periwinkle Ink said…
Looks DEE-Lish!!!! So how about YOU being the COOK and invite us others over to be the APPRECIATORS? I can really, REALLY appreciate when someone else cooks... really, I can! I promise! Really and truly!

Popular Posts