My Prayer on Obama Nation


Dear Lord, please make it stop. Please make the celebrities shut their perfectly sculpted pie holes and wipe the tears and dreamy looks off their faces while they fantasize about our new President.

All the commotion has me perplexed. I understand the historical significance of having our first black President but The Man just took office today. It’s his FIRST day and hopefully we’ll get more than just Hope and eloquent sermon-like speeches.

Please let everyone in this great country of ours realize that community service is nothing new and being kind is something most of us have always been doing. He didn’t invent these things, although you’d think he did, listening to the people and celebrities being interviewed.

Lord, I think The Man is a great example of what is possible with a lot of hard work and perserverance. I hope this is inspiring for those who lost faith and realize opportunities are here for all of us and skin color is no longer an excuse. It’s your character and behavior that most will judge you on.

I don’t think white folks can understand what this means to people of color Lord- seeing someone like them become the 44th President. And I’m glad for it. Until seeing all these interviews I didn’t realize they still feel so oppressed. Didn’t slavery end generations ago? It’s not my fault or my parents or grandparents fault so don’t blame us. I could wallow in my own sad history, but no one’s going to hand out sympathy to me and I don’t get any government support for being a victim.

I’m not humping his leg or inhaling wafts of his scent after he passes by or considering Him my new God (which I’ve actually heard people referring to Him as). This is scary Lord. What am I missing that I’m not totally mesmerized by The Man? I’m waiting for results, not flowery words, and I think we’re going to rise again as a nation under his leadership. I didn’t vote for our new President, but I support him Lord, and want Him to do well so we all benefit. But let’s stop with all the drama.

Oh, I forgot.

They’re actors.

May Peace be with all of us. Amen.

Comments

Anonymous said…
if i were a celebrity i would be rounding up a bunch of celebrity buddies and getting them to help me build a really cool animal sanctuary. i really liked W. i must be living in some other parallel universe or something, because i dont see many people who share my admiration for the man. i am hopeful about barack and i am certainly hoping that america makes a good comeback. what i did like about baracks speech was this: we will not apologize for our way of life...or something like that. and of course i did like aretha's hat. i do have a really cool hat but no where to wear it. and i certainly would not look like the queen of anything in it anyway.

Popular Posts