Listener


I’m a trained listener and I’ve been told I’m good at it. I have a piece of paper that says I spent four years learning how to be a professional listener, but that’s not how I spend my 40 hours a week. It’s just a hobby, and I like spending a lot of money, time and four valuable years on hobbies. People seem surprised to find someone that’ll listen, but really, its laziness. And I get complimented on it.

People like to be heard. The more you listen, the more they talk and it makes people feel good and then they feel good about you, and they’re happy, feel important, relieved of their burdens, and all is right with the world. Pause. Necessary skills include, but are not limited to, remaining silent, making eye contact and periodic nodding. Facial gestures should also be added to show interest, concern, surprise or delight. If you’re really good you’ll learn how to dilate your pupils and make your heartbeat slower or faster so you’re in synch with the talker. When on the telephone, add the periodic “uh-huh”, “wow” or “really”. In the meantime, while you’re helping your fellow man, coordinating all your senses to blend seamlessly with their stories, you can mentally go over your list of errands, holiday plans, did I flush the toilet and budget for the upcoming holiday bills.

It’s win-win and it’s under-rated. So listen to someone today! They may just need to be heard.

Comments

susan said…
very good Mick I'm going to try to listen harder
good writing

Popular Posts