Cat Alarm


Be cool, go ‘Green’ and get your own organic cat alarm.

For a one-time introductory fee we’ll also throw in purr, fur and punctured sheets (those of you with cats that have claws know what I'm talking about).

I have the great pleasure, and challenge, of being self-employed and working from home. My commute is a 10-second saunter down the hall, no traffic and I’m never late. I have perfect attendance, no dress code, am always Employee of the Month, and my boss is totally cool. Hate me.

After years of working from home I granted my wonderful self the pleasure of waking in the morning without an alarm clock. No, I’m not one of those people with an internal clock that gets up at the exact same time every day, far from it. I just realized that I’m more centered, balanced, zen-like, whatever you want to call it, when I wake naturally and it’s usually within the time I want to get up. Deepak Chopra would be proud and it's worked, until recently.

You see, Oprah had an episode about cutting costs in the home. Her guest explained how she unplugged everything not being used because even though the item is not turned on, it’s still sucking energy. She found her electric bill reduced dramatically. So I experimented and unplugged everything in my bedroom and kitchen unless it’s being used.

After ‘unplugging my bedroom’, including the alarm clock, a new phenomenon began to occur. Every morning I’m purred on, nudged in the face by fur and can hear my 600- thread-count sheets being groped by claws demanding attention as though the cat knows the clock is unplugged and I'm somehow going to sleep through the day. Not the sheets! Seriously, you have my attention. I love my sheets. In my groggy state, eyes still closed, I’m swatting at purring noises, fur in my face and I’m pissed. Pissed that this is how I’m starting my day. I’m slowly, begrudgingly, waking and not happy about it, and there she is to greet me, happy cat, ready to start the day, whether I am or not.

I’ve gone ‘Green’ by accident. Blame the cat.




Comments

Anonymous said…
oh hello...how does your coffee pot come on? if our coffee pot did not come on and wake up the dogs, we would sleep til the alarm and then we would not have time to make coffee.

i am not letting bill read this blog of course because i dont want to run around plugging everything back in, in the morning before i feed the dogs and cats and get to carpool...it is bad enough he has things on a timer. you ever been in the middle of a movie or a murder drama on the discovery channel when all of a sudden wham, out goes everything because it's all on a timer? AGHHHHHH!

i always thought you were pretty blessed to get to work at home. since i dont get too, i am going to leave my pot set on auto brew and my tv buzzing so i dont lie awake all night listening to dog snoring only to finally doze off just when the coffee pot goes off and wakes everyone!!

wait i just had a thought! maybe i can convince bill that if he will let me be a stay at home dog mom, we can save on electricity! nah i dont think he will buy it!

I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I GOT TO BE THE FIRST COMMEN TATER! WAHOOOOOO!
Micki Michelle said…
Welcome aboard Tater Lori! You're right, Bill would love this idea. I guess he missed that episode of Oprah.

"Stay-at-home dog-mom". That's a good one. You know what to say next time someone asks you what you do.

Thanks for the kind words and come back often.

Popular Posts